Class meets in Valentine 308,
beginning 8:30AM on Tuesday, September 8
For each class session:
- Complete any assigned reading
- Translate the parable to be discussed in class; if the parable appears
in more than one Gospel, you need not translate more than one
- Read the appropriate section in Hultgren or
Snodgrass relating to the parable
- Read the appropriate section in
Scott/or/Capon/Herzog/Schottroff/Buttrick relating to the
- Start looking around this course web page,
resources, syllabus, parable projects, etc.
- Go to the Fishersnet course web site and login
(you should all be registered and have been sent user names and passwords;
if not, contact me)
- Play around the site a bit. There will not
be a lot of content on that site, since I will be posting most of
what you need to know on this web page. For now, click on the
"Discussion Board" button on the left and then check in the
Open Forum. Feel free to jump in!
- Bring a Bible (Greek & English; hardcopy or on computer) to class
- Introduction to the Parables of Jesus
If needed, get your computer ready to go with Unicode Greek.
- Read the Intro and chs 1-3 (pp 1-40) of Gowler What are they saying about the parables? OR Hedrick
Many Things in Parables
Here are study guides for your reading pleasure, and you will be providing some responses on the discussion board.
- Read Hultgren, The Parables of Jesus, pages 1-19
OR Snodgrass, Stories with Intent, pages 1-35 (37-59). The
reading guides are simply to help you identify key elements as you read.
- Go to the Fishersnet site and note the
assignments related to your reading.
- Assignment 09.15A:Hultgren OR Assignment
09.15B:Snodgrass: Read the assignment related to the book you are reading.
(You are certainly welcome to read the other forum, but you do not need
to provide responses.)
- “This Is for the Birds!” (Mustard Seed) [Mt 13.31-32: Pr12A; Mk 4.30-32:
Pr6B; Lk 13.18-19; GT 20]
- You will be choosing the parable you want to use
for your course project. The list may be found on the Schedule
page. You will be working in groups of two or three on a parable.
Tuesday, September 22
- Did you complete the parables
poll yet? It will take you less than a minute...
- Read chs 4-6 (pp 41-84) of Gowler What are they saying about the parables?
Here is a study guide for your reading pleasure.
- We will finish the Mustard Seed parable.
- I will provide a brief overview of the Lost/Found parables of Luke 15.
- “WANTED: Dead and Alive” - Lost and Found Parables of Luke
Tuesday, September 29
- Bookmark this
- You might also want to check this site I am trying to build up: ParablesOfJesus.info
- Read the chs 7 and Conclusion (pp 85-103) of Gowler What are they saying about the parables?
Here is a study guide for your reading pleasure.
- “Over My Dead Body” (Good Samaritan) [Lk
Tuesday, October 6
- Focus parable: “If You Can’t Beat Them, Join
Them” (Unjust Judge) [Lk 18.1-8: Pr24C]
- Hultgren (252-261); Snodgrass (449-461); Scott (---); Capon (329-336);
Buttrick (222-225); Herzog (215-232); Schottroff (190-194)
- Laborers in the Vineyard: Matthew 20.1-16 (Tina, Jess)
Hultgren (33-45); Snodgrass (362-378); Scott (-); Capon (386-397); Buttrick (116-119); Herzog (79-97); Schottroff (209-217)
- Seed Growing Secretly: Mark 4.26-29 (Rebecca)
Hultgren (385-392); Snodgrass (179-190); Scott (-); Capon (75ff); Buttrick (70-74); Herzog (); Schottroff ()
Tuesday, October 13
- "Is This Any Way to Run a Business?" (Unjust Steward) [Lk
20C/ Ordinary 25C]
- Hultgren (146-156); Snodgrass (401-418); Scott ( ); Capon (302-309); Buttrick (209-216 ); Herzog (233-258)
- Rich Man & Lazarus: Luke 16.19-31 (Cris, Seth)
Hultgren (110-117); Snodgrass (419-436); Scott (-); Capon (398-411); Buttrick (-); Herzog (114-130); Schottroff (157-170)
- Hidden Treasure & Pearl: Matthew 13.44-46 (Denise, Micki, Karen)
Hultgren (409-423); Snodgrass (236-254); Scott (47-54); Capon (113-123); Buttrick (100-104); Herzog (); Schottroff ()
Tuesday, October 20 - NO CLASS
Tuesday, October 27
- "Just a Spoonful of Leaven..." Leaven
- Some examples of re-presentations
- Demonstrate how you might ‘re-present’ the parable or at least describe plans for how you would do so. This re-presentation might take the form of a poem, short story, song, PowerPoint, video, sermon, interactive Bible study, dramatization or skit artistic work, etc. The goal is to find an appropriate way for the parable to be experienced by a particular audience. Your group will have about 15 minutes to re-present (or describe the planned re-presentation of) the parable and solicit feedback from the class.
- Video (Rich
man & Lazarus)
- Prezi (eg...)
- PowerPoint > SlideShare,
SlideRocket, and other
ways of posting to web
Work of the People: Visual Media for Ministry
- 36 Parables
Online Presentation Apps and other Presentation
- A multivalent
- Comic books,
podcasts, rap song, StarTrek dramatization, mashups
- Sites for
Art, Pictures, Music, and Video
- Friend at Midnight: Luke 11.5-10 (Matt, Jeanne)
Hultgren (225-234); Snodgrass (437-448); Scott (-); Capon (219-235); Buttrick
(185-188); Herzog (); Schottroff (188-194)
Tuesday, November 3
- NOTE: Some of you are forgetting that part of your grade includes
responding to the student presentations by posting on the discussion board
on the FishersNet site.
- "Where Went the Bride?" (Bridesmaids) [Mt 25.1-13 Proper
27/ Ordinary 32A]
- Follow links from
- Hultgren (169-179); Snodgrass (505-519); Scott (-); Capon (490-501); Buttrick
(166-168); Herzog (); Schottroff (29-37)
- Unforgiving Servant: Matthew 18.23-35 (Aaron, Caitlin)
Hultgren (21-33); Snodgrass (61-77); Scott (97-107); Capon (189-200); Buttrick
(107-112); Herzog (131-149); Schottroff (196-203)
Tuesday, November 10
- "Just Don’t Call Me Late for Supper" (Great Supper) [Mt 22.1-14: Pr23A;
Lk 14.15-24; GT 64]
- Wheat and Weeds: Matthew 13.24-30, 36-43 (Melissa, Sarah, Katharina)
Hultgren (292-303); Snodgrass (191-216); Scott (-); Capon (); Buttrick
(90-99); Herzog (); Schottroff (~204-208)
Tuesday, November 17
Tuesday, November 24
- Laborers in Vineyard: Tina / Jess
- Seed Growing Secretly: Rebecca
- Tenants: Mark 12.1-9; Matthew 21.33-46; Luke 20.9-1
Tuesday, December 1
- : Matthew 25.14-30; Luke 19.11–27
- Hultgren (271-282); Snodgrass (519-542); Capon (502-512); Schottroff
(221-224); Herzog (); Buttrick (171-177)
- Rich Man & Lazarus: Cris / Seth
- Hidden Treasure: Denise, Micki, Karen
Tuesday, December 8
Tuesday, December 15
Hultgren (); Snodgrass (); Scott (-); Capon (-); Buttrick (-); Herzog ();